Friday, September 19, 2014

Recipe: Jalapeño Whiskey BBQ Sliders

(I'm back from vacation! I'll recap our AMAZING time in Nevada next week, but for now, let's get fat and happy together!)

Y'all know I love The Pioneer Woman

She's fantastic. 

And adorable. 

And she makes food that makes me want to just sit on the couch and eat all the food all the time.

I also really love burgers.

And jalapeños.

And bbq. 

And whiskey.

Yum.

So when I saw her recipe for Spicy Whiskey BBQ Sliders, I knew I had to make them for myself. 

And they were amazing.

But, as I do, I had to make a few changes to suit my tastes, the appetite of my boyfriend (okay, who am I kidding, I ate like 6 of these at once), and the time I had.

So make Ree's recipe. 

Today. 

Now. 

And then look at what I did with it.

Tomorrow.

And then go buy the rest of the beef at the store and make your own version!

And call me when you grow into the couch and I'll come over and watch sitcoms with you.

What you need:
3 pounds beef (80/20 is best - and you can get more than 3 pounds, this is just what I had, and it made a ton)
1 large red onion, diced
1 bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce
1 package slider buns (unless you make more than 12, then obviously another package)
2 medium to large fresh jalapeños, diced and seeds mostly removed
Salt 
Pepper
About 1 TBSP honey
Crushed red pepper
Whiskey (I like Buffalo Trace, but whatever that's good-ish is fine)



 Yum.

Start by forming small patties out of the hamburger. I do a palm full, roll it into a ball, and then press it into a burger shape. 

I also press the middle in with my thumb a bit, on the top, so it doesn't puff up too much.

Season them (I tend to get 12-13 out of this much, but it really depends on how big you make the burgers) with salt, pepper, and the greek seasoning.

Place is a super hot cast iron skillet, turn the heat to medium high, and cook until almost done, but still pink in the middle.

When the burgers are done, take them out and set them on a plate. 

DO NOT DRAIN THE SKILLET.

If you do, you are literally throwing flavor and happiness down the drain.

Keep it hot, and add in onion, the jalapeños, and the crushed red pepper.



Let those cook down a bit, and pour in about half the bottle of BBQ sauce.

Allow this to cook down for a few minutes, stirring often.

Then add a bit of honey.

Then pour in some whiskey. 

You could put in a couple of ounces. 

Or you could just pour it until it looks right. 

For me that's about a quarter of a cup.

Then take a shot.

And chase it with your Diet Coke.


When the sauce has thickened, put the burgers back in for 5-10 minutes, squishing them around in the sauce, making sure they get nice and covered.

When they look good/you've stopped making faces from the whiskey, slap them on the buns, scooping some of the sauce on too (this is not pretty), and chow down!


I served them with some seasoned steak fries, and we ate way too many. 

Everyone was happy.

This can be made for 2 people, or, as happened one night, for 2 people and then all the people who showed up (my apartment is like Grand Central sometimes), so like 10. Just make a bunch of burgers, a bunch of sauce, and warn everyone it's spicy!

No comments:

Post a Comment