Friday, March 20, 2015

Recipe: Potato Soup

So here's the thing. 

I really really really love potatoes. 

My mom says, "I never met a potato I didn't like."

I mean, they're so versatile.

Tater tots, fries, mashed potatoes, roasted potatoes, potatoes au gratin, cheesy potatoes, baked potatoes, potato soup.


I'm the Samwise of potatoes. 

Boil em. Mash em. Stick em in a stew.

And this is one of my favorite ways to eat potatoes - potato soup!

There about half a million ways to make potato soup, and everyone has a favorite. I like mine sort of...well...oh hell. 

They're really glorified, acceptable to eat for dinner by themselves, mashed potatoes.

This is not soup.

It's happiness in a bowl.


Here's what you'll need:

(Loosely adapted from this Country Living recipe)

5lbs-ish potatoes, peeled
1 package bacon (yeah it seems like a lot but this makes A LOT of soup), cooked until crisp
1 tbsp salt
16 oz sour cream
1 1/2 sticks of butter
2 cups milk
Green onions, sliced
Grated sharp cheddar cheese
Salt, pepper, Cavender's, and cajun seasoning (I use Tony Chachere's) to taste
Large pot or dutch oven

Start by peeling and cutting your potatoes into 1/2 inch or so cubes - the important thing is that they're all the same size so they cook evenly

Rinse potatoes, then put into your large pot or dutch oven

Fill pot with water, just to cover the potatoes

Add 1 tbsp salt

Bring to a boil and cook potatoes until fork tender - about 30-45 minutes

While the potatoes are cooking, fry or bake your bacon until it's at the desired crispness - I like mine a little floppy still, but you want it to add some texture


Cut bacon into pieces, and set aside on paper towels to drain


When the potatoes are fork tender, drain them and return them to the pot

Mash the potatoes until they aren't in big chunks anymore


Add the butter

Add the sour cream


Mash all this together

(And ignore my totally gross stove, sorry y'all!)

Turn the heat to very low and add the milk


(You may want to add the milk in increments, or add more, depending on how thin you like your soup)



(I like mine just thick enough that the spoon stands up and then starts to tilt. Like I said..."soup.")

Stir the milk in, and add the salt, pepper, and cajun seasoning to taste and stir in


(I clearly like a lot of pepper. And have a crazy pink alien hand.)


(For those of us who like it a little hot.)


(Cavender's. A must.)


I like a lot of spice. You don't have to add this much. Don't add this much. Or if you do, don't hold me responsible.

But if you do, you can make a little swirled galaxy of spice!

I'm a weirdo.

Simmer this, without letting it scorch, while stirring often, for about 10 minutes, making sure to get rid of the big lumps, and allowing the butter to completely melt

Turn the heat off, dish it up, and top it with cheese, bacon, and green onions (or whatever you want I suppose!)


(Or you can not be lazy and grate your own.)


Bacon!


This is basically me.



Cheese!

And more pepper!

Because I'm crazy!

This is a really warm, comforting soup, and perfect for the cool nights we're still having!


No comments:

Post a Comment