Thursday, May 21, 2015

Recipe: The World's Easiest Marinade

Last weekend, one of my good friends and his friend from out of town sent me this text:

"Wanna grill out?"

Obviously the answer was yes, because I love to grill. 

And because "Wanna grill out" was followed by "I'll get some beer."

I love grilling. Add beer and it's a party!

I rooted through the fridge and found some chicken breasts (they were bringing lamb and steak), some asparagus, and some zucchini. I have a couple of tricks for the vegetables (like bringing them to room temperature before grilling, and my number one grilling tip below), but what to do with that chicken?

I needed a marinade.

A marinade that would only take as long as it took the grill to heat up and the veggies to get started.

I need The World's Easiest Marinade.

This marinade is so easy I didn't even take any pictures of myself making it.

But...here's a picture of a beer, the main ingredient!


(Yes, you can even use the worst of beers, Bud Light!)

Ingredients for 4 chicken breasts worth of marinade:

1 12oz can of beer (or a tall can - do you!)
1/2 cup olive oil
A few shakes each of black pepper, garlic powder, Cavender's, and cajun seasoning.
2 pinches of kosher salt

Then mix it together and plop your chicken breasts in.

Basically you can adjust these measurements for however many chicken breasts you have - you just want the marinade to almost cover whatever you put in the bowl.

I probably let this marinate for about an hour, and then just put the chicken on the grill. It turned out super tender and with a great flavor, and no one could believe it was such a simple marinade!

On the grill:


On my plate:


(Lamb, steak, chicken, asparagus, zucchini, and brussels sprouts. Oh yes.)

My one big tip for grilling anything that you're putting directly on a grill is kind of a pre-grilling step. Rather than washing the grill grate, or just oiling it with a brush, dip half an onion in olive oil, or in some reserved portions of this marinade, and run the grate down with the onion. Then throw it on the grill with your food - you'll get some great flavor!

Anyone else have quick and easy grilling tips? It's still so nice out in Memphis I'm using the grill a lot!

No comments:

Post a Comment