Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Memphis Nosh: Mac's Burgers

Recently, I heard that a new burger and gourmet macaroni and cheese place had opened.

I HAD to go.


Cheese = life.

So on Sunday, my friend Sloan and I went for dinner.


Mac's is in the shopping center by the "old" Target on Colonial, in the same strip as The Wine Market, Williams-Sonoma, and the Pottery Barn Outlet - most of it is the former Dan McGuinness space (which is still there just smaller) and it has a nice bar and large dining room.


They also have some cool decor, although it's still a little sparse. I actually don't mind that - I think they're still finding their identity and that's okay!

Basically they have a ton of appetizers, a huge burger selection, and then a ridiculous selection of mac and cheese.


I already knew I wanted to try several of the macaronis. Luckily, you can basically do a flight of macs with the Mac Trio!

I got the Memphis Mac (Pulled pork, smoked sausage, coleslaw - although I don't like slaw and they had no problem leaving it off - and bbq sauce), the Sheboygan (Grilled beer brat with beer soaked onions, topped with green onions), and the Loaded Mac (Hardwood smoked bacon, shredded cheddar, green onions, topped with sour cream).


Holy Macaroni.

Well, actually, they aren't "macaroni" noodles, but that's okay, because these noodles hold the cheese better AND hold up a little better. I hate smushy pasta and these were just about al dente.

Note: this is not that gross baked mac and cheese with the bread crumbs and the layer of cheese. These are like pasta with cheese sauce. The way it should be.

Sloan got the Big Easy burger (the double, so two patties, lettuce, onion, tomato, pepper jack cheese, fried shrimp(!!!), havarti, garlic cream cheese, and fry dip) and, instead of fries, you can sub in ANY of the macs for $2. So he got the Garlic Chicken Mac (roasted garlic, grilled chicken, sautéed spinach). He also got a Rockbone IPA, and they have a pretty decent local beer selection.



Yes. Those are fried shrimp on top of a burger.

Also, it's blurry. My camera couldn't handle this thing.
We didn't get one - I just had a diet pepsi - but they also have Jameson slushies, which I WILL be drinking in the future.

I want to go back and eat basically everything really. My roommate and I are eyeing the Loaded Egg Rolls (the Loaded Mac in an egg roll what is life??!?) and the Grilled Shrimp Mac, and I definitely want to try the Southern Fried Mac with Chicken tenders and gravy. Gravy on top of mac and cheese?

Okay.

I think the prices are pretty reasonable for the amount of food you get - neither of us could finish our food and had leftovers, and even with a beer it was totally reasonable. 

The service was a little spotty, but we were the last people there, and they are still pretty new. Our waitress was super nice, they just seem to have a little too much staff with too little to do. But I will absolutely be back, especially since it's so close to campus/Target/the wine market/all of the things!

1 comment:

  1. Have you been to the new Dan McGuinness space? I'm not sure I'd say they are still there just smaller.

    ReplyDelete